A glimpse into the life and times of Julia. Loving, learning and growing my way through it all.





Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The recipe is in my blood.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret.
I love to cook.
And I'm actually really good at it.
When I cook for my friends they always ask me for the recipe.
The only catch is I don't usually cook from a recipe.
The recipes are in my blood.
It's a Silvestri thing, we are all really good cooks.
No word of a lie.
Here's why.

Meet my Dad, Corrado.
He is the best chef I know. He can make a delicious meal out of pretty much anything.
For as long as I can remember we have been in the kitchen together.
He always included us in every step of cooking a meal shopping for food, preparing ingredients, cooking and presentation were a family affair. And that's where he passed down the family secrets.
Where did he learn all of those secrets?

Meet the Nonna.
The best chef ever.
She had more amazing Italian recipes in her heart than you can imagine. She is the maker of my all time favourite food, Pasta Fagoli.
When I was little I would spend my Friday nights in the kitchen of our restaurant cooking with her. She would set me up in front of the sink on a milk crate to help her clean the mussels and learn her tricks.
I was so blessed to live with the Nonna in Italy for a year in 2006-2007. At that point she wasn't cooking much but you can be sure she would sit with me in the kitchen when I was cooking and tell me what to do.

So you see the recipes are all set up in my DNA. As adults my siblings and I have this amazing foundation of a love for food, creating and cooking for people that we love that runs from a place so deep. I hope that it will never be lost and that we will be able to pass it on for generations.

Julia

1 comment:

  1. Yup yup food is in our blood, sometimes our blood is in the food, but thats ok... righ??

    ReplyDelete