A glimpse into the life and times of Julia. Loving, learning and growing my way through it all.





Monday, May 9, 2011

Blow the dust off.

Saturday was cleaning day!
I love cleaning day.
Don't judge.
I love sucking up those dust bunnies with the vacuum and scrubbing away that soap scum in the bathtub.
There are few things that evoke a stronger sense of accomplishment than a clean apartment.
But there is one thing I don't love about cleaning day...dusting.
Chances are I dislike dusting because I'm allergic to dust and end up with a really runny nose when I'm done.
Over share?
Sorry.
But like cleaning toilets dusting must be done.
While I was Swiffering my way around the apartment I thought about dusting.
Instead of thinking of the objects as stuff that needed to be dusted I began to reflect on the objects themselves.

Jen and Jamie gave me this beautiful hurricane candle holder.
It was a gift for my birthday years ago, before they were married parents of a toddler and a baby on the way.
It was at a birthday bbq that Leslie threw for me at her house. All of our friends were there. Terry cooked the burgers and Sharon made a delicious strawberry shortcake.

 That is an onion and that's garlic.
Anyone who thinks otherwise of the ceramic wall hangings I bought for my Dad at the one-of-a-kind show over 10 years ago with Sarah has a dirty mind.
Ahem, Leslie.


That glowing orb is from Ikea.
As is 75% of the furniture in my home.
My sister bought it for me as a housewarming gift.
My sister has amazing style and flair for home decorating.
I'm a little bit country and she's a little bit rock and roll.
I love my sister in a way I can't put to words.

 This is my favourite picture in the whole world.
My brothers are my favourite people in the world.
We were supposed to be taking a "nice" picture for Nonna on Christmas eve 2009.
This is really who we are.
I love my brothers more than I can explain.

 This is the only piece of art that I own.
Michelle, the artist gave it to me because it was cracked.
So beautiful, even if it is damaged.
Kinda like people, no?


 These pictures are of me and my parents at my college graduation.
I love them because you can see how proud my parents are to be there beside me.
I cried that day.
I wasn't sad.
I was so happy that they got to be a part of me succeeding in that way.

Pink frame=Sharon's gift before I left for Italy. Kept it in my room right beside my bed for the entire year.
Picture=Me and Rebecca, love that girl so much.
Candles=A gift from Rebecca before I left for Italy.
Animals=Who knows where those came from.
Tell one person you like pigs and all of sudden you have a collection.
I really do like pigs though.
Can you guess why?

This wooden bowl is from Malawi.
It was a gift from Matt a few years ago.
It sits in the middle of my "mantel".
To remind me of my friend who is so far away.
To remind me to pray for his ministry, one I am so invested in.
To remind me of hope.
To remind me of being called.

I realize that all of these things are just "stuff".
But I love the stories, love and passion behind them.
As I've gotten older I've realized the value in a handful of very special things over a lot of meaningless stuff.
These are the artifacts of my life that tell my story.
Julia

1 comment:

  1. We love you too JU!!!!! you are the glue that keeps us together. BTW since when did you become so poetic??? Oh and you love pigs becuase you are from the land of the pigs Modena!!!

    ReplyDelete