Over the past few years I've been trying to figure out how to live my life more simply. I'm not really sure where the desire first came from. Could be the bible, necessity, friends, guilt, frugality or just plain good sense.
You're probably wondering what "living simply" means to me? Well I'm glad you asked. I think it comes down to a few key things that I've learned from the people around me:
1. Spend less to give more. This idea comes out of the bible and is a cornerstone for Christian living amongst my friends at The Meeting House.
2. Share. Your life. Your stuff. Your money. You. Many of my friends live this out in their everyday lives especially Maryellen. It has been such an amazing gift for me to share a meal with the Boyes almost every week for the past year.
3. Be creative. Being creative with the resources you have allows you to do so many things. My friend Nadine does an amazing job at this. This past year she didn't have a lot of work but she enjoyed her life to the fullest. She is an extreme example of being creative with what you have. For more on the adventures of Nadine click here.
5. Be content. With what you have. With who you are. With where you are at. I'm not saying that you should be complacent at all. But if you hate it, change. It makes me sad when people don't live in the moment, always looking to what's next does not make for a content person. When I am content my perspective on my life is much brighter.
4. Be thankful. Need I say more?
Now I bet you want to know how this has all played out practically in my life.
Guess you'll have to stay tuned to find out.
P.S. If I didn't mention your name and you live out these things please don't be offended.